Study programme and level
|Lectures||Seminar||Tutorial||Other forms of study||Individual Work||ECTS|
|Content (Syllabus outline):|
The definition of ethics. The concept of virtue and integrity. The notions of justice, accountability and duties. Person and personal dignity. Traditions, culture, environment, and its norms, laws, regulations, rules and conscience as a source of ethical leadership. The difference between the ethics of private sector and ethics in the public domain. Professional ethics.
Specific aspects of the ethics of public administration: the role and importance of ethics in public administration; ethical problems and challenges of public administration; detect, prevent and deal with ethical issues in public administration; role and ethical values of public administration, the rights and obligations of civil servants; resolving ethical dilemmas; cultivation of ethical culture of public servants; anti-corruption activities; public administration and challenges of the present, the right to good governance and administration (EU).
Objectives and competences:
The course equips students with the knowledge and competencies that are related to ethics and integrity in public administration. The aim is to establish awareness that ethics is internal to functioning of public administration and that it is committed to ethical maximum.
The course acquaints students with different levels of human needs and values, with the basics of ethics, with notions of justice, accountability and duties, with ethical responsibilities and problems of public administration and the means of their realization or resolution.
Intended learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding:
– student acquires knowledge about the importance of ethics for human life;
– the central concepts of ethics;
– understanding the problems of public administration from different angles (employee, user state, local environment, …);
– deeper understanding of the importance of ethics for public administration ethics functions and sense of public administration;
– understanding the growing importance of ethics for public administration in the modern world.
– student obtains a good theoretical basis for the development and implementation of appropriate work ethics officials in public administration;
– developing the ability to (conceptually articulated) assessment of complex moral situations in the field of public administration;
– decision-making models and strategies that you can use in specific situations;
– getting ready for better collaboration and teamwork.
– gaining the knowledge necessary for understanding cutting-edge scientific and expert texts in the field of ethics of public administration;
– gaining the knowledge and abilities to engage in critical discussions concerning the ethics of public administration and beyond
Learning and teaching methods:
|The course consists of lectures and exercises. The debate between teacher and students is encouraged with active participation of students and promotes the acquisition of knowledge. Such a method promotes critical stance of students and their own reflection and assessment.|